Monday, October 13, 2008

What a weekend!

Sorry for the delay in writing a blog, I had quite a last couple of days and therefore was late and putting any kind of thoughts together. I wanted to describe my weekend in full.

-True story, Adam Knight did throw a punch at me on Saturday night. What isn't true is all the reports of what actually happened. Here is the best recollection that I have of the event. I walked into the VIP door at Alive, Adam Knight said "worst timing in the world". Coming up the stairs in the VIP entrance I offered my handshake, he took a shot. I don't remember it hurting, and I've been punched in the past and remember either initial pain or a sore spot the next day. Neither has happen. I grabbed him around the waste, he grabbed me in a front facelock, we stood there for a couple of seconds, and Joe the doormen seperated us. My initial reaction was either to call the police for what was a cheap shot, or go outside and discuss it further. Neither of those occured. This is my honest opinion, Adam Knight feels justified in throwing a punch because of a couple of things. One was a late night prank phone call which I did. The other is that he believes I'm the Rokeby Ribber, which once and for all I wish could be proved by a higher authority that it's not me. And lastly it's because I've been openly critical of Adam Knight as a professional wrestler. My points aren't meant as cheap shots on Knight, but more an honest opinion, and when you don't like someone's honest opinion, the choice is take a shot, and you better knock someone out when you take that shot, especially if he's offering a handshake and has his back to stairs, or you don't throw a punch and instead use it as negative motivation to be far better than that person's opinion. It seems for every supposed fan in the local wrestling scene there is two internet aliases that constantly bad mouth me. I enjoy it. Maybe Knight will develop a similar thick skin. I don't hate Knight at all, for 13 years I've known him well, and I'm sorry that he hates me. But if he hates for me thinking the Rokeby Rib was funny, that's the wrong reason. For the thousandth time, I didn't do it.

-Friday night I ventured to Stonewall to watch a Steeltown Pro Wrestling event at the Old Fellow's Hall. About 160 people in attendance, and Rob is doing his best to put together a TV like atmosphere, for his crew. Tons of organization, and well put together show. Even using a crew that most would call green, he's getting the most out of them, and sending the people home happy. I'm sure he's profiting as well. If the promoters checklist was earn a few dollars, keep the crowd happy, and draw a crowd, he should consider it a success.

-On Thursday night, PCW ran it's "Back To School Bash". I've heard from about 8 people who were at the show. Apparently my name was dropped a few times, which is whatever. It gives me a right to speak an opinion if they drop my name. From what I've been told, Shallcross was unhappy with the show and now will do a PCW Open House on October 30th. Shallcross is attempting to say I don't have any respect for his roster, with my criticisms of his company. I don't agree with that. I think anything that is wrong with PCW falls on the booking and promoting of the product and not the "team". For instance, Nate Hardy didn't wake up last Thursday and forget how to work. I think it's an act of desperation to do the free show, and further a questionable expectation to want the crew to do it on a voluntary basis. If the Winnipeg Blue Bombers started 0-6, or winless, would Lyle Bauer say all 28,000 tickets are free next game? No, and that's in a business where tickets aren't the sole form of revenue. What Lyle Bauer would do, is make assessments on the coaching staff, the general manager, and talent, until he created a winning formula. I do truly think the world of Andrew, no one wants to believe it, because it's so much easier for everyone to say Mike Davidson is the Rokeby Ribber. Andrew needs to develop a stronger strategy to promote his shows. Mentallo and Omega are easily two gems that should be working in front of a hundred and a half or more, but those people should be paying to appreciate their talents as well. And that is my humble opinion. I hope the Open House works well, and PCW can find a new level of success following it. One last piece of advice, is Andrew obviously wasn't impressed with his "teams" performance, maybe now is the right time to drop the petty pissing wars with RME, SPW etc and put the best crew on the show possible every event. That would mean a return of Chevy & Sanchez, Duggan and Douglas. All four would be a strong addition to any roster.

-Last week reports broke that I was running a wrestling event on November 6th at Coyotes. That was unfortunately false. I would very much like to run a show, or even a regular venue at this point. And I firmly believe with the talent out there could have a successful run. If I am to run an event in the coming months, I don't want the perception that I'm doing it for the wrong reasons. I don't want it to be a justification for PCW to get pissy, or CWF to assume I'm running them out, and I don't want it to be anything that will amount to a heatscore. If I do, and never say never, I'd like to do it where the fans get a product that they consider very entertaining, and where talent gets an opportunity to have a whole lot of fun. But I'm not holding my breath that I could accomplish any of that, lol, except the fans getting a great event.

-Bombers secured 2nd place with a win over the argos on Friday. I very much doubt that Don Matthews will be back in TO next season.

-A very wise person gave me some advice the last couple of days. With all the heat in the local wrestling scene right now, it's very easy to place the heat on me. A bigger person will know exactly how to deal with it, and still come out in better shape. For a week or two I lost sight of what to do with that, but I have a firm grasp of what needs to be done.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allow me to offer my two cents here since I was actually there to witness this debacle.

I know Knight pretty well and I know that despite what others think about him being a "tough guy" he actually is a pussycat. I am sure he was pretty pissed at Mike (who was actually extending his hand in a sign of a truce) but afterwards I am sure he felt horrible.

Last year I almost punched Mike out as well. I had every right to do so but I knew that if I did that he'd have "won". So I didn't even bother because he wasn't worth it. That, coupled with the fact that this is LOCAL wrestling made it a no-win situation. There is nothing that ANYONE could do to incite me to punch them out over the LOCAL business. Totally ridiculous.

I will say that when I saw Knight at Alive he said hello but also said, "worst time ever" to me. I didn't know what that meant but after I passed him he went at Mike. The whole thing was quite comical. I stood there and so did Joe who was bouncing. I would be interested to see the incident again as it happened so fast. The owner recognized Knight and told us he would review the camera footage.

Is this thing a work? Who knows? If I actually hauled off and punched someone as hard as I could they'd have dropped (ask Andrew about how hard I punch!). I would have gotten the job done. But 6 foot 4, 260 lbs Knight punched 5 foot 10, 180 lbs Mike as Mike was extending his hand while standing on a flight of stairs and Mike stood there and took it. I was not sure if it was a glancing blow or meant as a real KO punch. Then it turned into a schmazz as I am sure Knight was wanting security to pull him off Mike. If it was real why not feed Mike knees from a Muai-Thai clinch? It looked like wimpy hockey players who clutch and grab their jerseys while waiting for the officials to separate them.

But if that was the best Knight had Mike stood there and took it. In fact, afterwards we laughed at how embarrassing it is and went into the bar to drink. Mike's hair wasn't even messed up and he looked fine.

Why did this happen? Is Mike the notorious "ribber". If he is he deserves the punch but I have not seen any evidence. While some idiots may commend Knight for this assault (probably the same clowns who make $10/hour at a gas station, live in their parents basement, live and die by LOCAL wrestling and have nothing to lose) I think it's quite lame. Arguing about bullshit like this is laughable and risking an assault charge for the LOCAL scene is retarded. You should both be ashamed.

Knight was also pissed at Danny and they spoke at the PCW show on Thursday and ironed it all out. I bet if Knight actually talked to Mike this could have been worked out. But Knight let his "friends" work him up and then he hit someone that he has known for years. That is bad judgment if you ask me.

Big thumbs down for you two morons. Get a life.


SM

Anonymous said...

pretty pathetic
what a loss to the local wrestling scene having two idiots fight over bullshit

Mike Davidson said...

Two idiots did not fight. I was punched. I did not punch back.

Anonymous said...

"If the Winnipeg Blue Bombers started 0-6, or winless, would Lyle Bauer say all 28,000 tickets are free next game?"

I believe this actually almost happened. Probably around 1999. The Bombers were on a very major losing streak and it went out all over the local news that if Bombers were to lose their next game, then the following game would be free.

One question though, what's the difference where a wrestler punches a former promoter compared to a wrestler who punches a fan? or a window at a nightclub? or a whole group of wrestlers show up at a social with black eyes because they all got into a huge fight outside of a nightclub? Or if word gets around that a former promoter was threatening to have someone break a wrestler's legs?

Whatever happened to double standards?

This isn't a matter of local wrestling, it's a matter of one person trying to piss off another and him selling it. And your half-assed attempt at no-selling it (even though you constantly talk about it) and wearing it like a badge of honor is worse. The tough guy attitude disappears when your buddies do too. It's happened before and it probably will happen again. Just my opinion though.

Anonymous said...

Write about the radio show and the fuck got Arnott so mad at you. He's gone off the deep end.

I always though Knight was a stand-up guy, sucker punching someone doesn't sound like it, but I suppose 13 years of good reputation preceeds him.

Mike Davidson said...

On both fronts, supportive and negative commentaries, I encourage people to put a name to it. These anonymous posts are just an effort to pour fuel on the fire.

I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't talk about the Adam Knight punch. If I don't everyone will say Adam Knight shut Mike Davidson up and scared the shit out of him, or injured him. If I talk about it, it looks like I'm shooting my mouth off.

To this I will say, whatever the reason, if I pushed Knights buttons hard enough that he resorted to that, it's unfortunate, and I publicly apologize. However if he punched me because he believes that I pulled the Rokeby Rib, then he punched the wrong guy, and he owes me an apology.

It's not a badge of honor to get punched, but it definitely says something to all those people who said I was scared to take a punch, or that I would not be able to stand up and take that punch. But those people don't want to admit they are wrong.

Anonymous said...

Call the police? What are you a pussy? Maybe someone should call the police about your ribs and pranks? Sorry. They already are!

Good thing Joe was there to save you pussyboy.

Anonymous said...

So much for Knight's public stance of telling others to always "no sell it."

Where is the blog on Arnott and radio show that you said you would write last week?

Mike Davidson said...

Will keep the comments short today.

Joe didn't prevent Knight from punching me, and was slow to react telling both Madison and I he was surprised and thought it was a work. Sorry to discredit your point, Mr. Anonymous.

What can I say about the radio show? It's apparently been taking off the air again because it was on hiatus. I would not hesitate to debate, Andrew, Mike Arnott, Ernie, Knight or anyone else about the business. Mike had a right to express his opinion that I flip-flopped on earlier criticisms of RME, however, he never let me speak a clear opinion on anything as he kept cutting me off.

I hope they get the Squared Circle back on the air.

Anonymous said...

even you best bud is putting the heat in you for the rokey ribber and every other rib. he denies it and puts the heat on you and he even says you deserve the punch in the head for doing the rib.

IDV said...

You cause far too much stress for yourself Buddy!

Waiting for your next blog. By the way, all you people take yourselves too seriously.

Anonymous said...

This Bitch is annoying.. i heard she was a hooker, she sure does suck though. have a good one.