Monday, October 6, 2008

Mecca returns and other stuff.

Sorry it's been a week or so since my last blog, truth told, I've been a little busier than I like to be.

It's been pointed out that I don't talk enough about wrestling, something that is a major part of my life. So this blog is going to be mainly wrestling related, and I'm sure some of my non-wrestling friends (yes I have those), may want to skim this one quickly, or just not read it completely.

My good friend "The Mecca" Shane Madison made a very rare wrestling appearance this weekend, and wrestled a match on Saturday night in Gladstone Manitoba, for Ringmasters Entertainment. This move created quite the shockwave in the local wrestling industry, because some people don't like Ringmasters for whatever reasons. Mecca had seemingly been in PCW, though it was unclear what direction he was headed with my recent exit from the company, and Jon Cutler leaving PCW for WWE.

Madison teamed with Danny Duggan to defeat the best tag-team this territory has ever seen Kevyn Chevy and AJ Sanchez (even better than the 25 incarnations of Team Impact, and Royce/Nevada). Unfortunately, that appears to be an after thought. The fact that RME (Ringmasters Entertainment), had a great show and sent every fan in attendance home satisfied, is unfortunately a casuality of local wrestling politics as well.

Let me say right here and now, that this blog will undoubtably cause a little bit of heat, but I'm not meaning for that.

Shane Madison's own blog, www.meccaholic.blogspot.com seems to contradict what I'm about to say, but here's what I understood took place for Madison to wrestle on this show in Gladstone.

On Thursday Madison met with RME promoter Chris MacFarlane (Angus), where an invitation was extended that if he was going to be in Gladstone to bring his gear. Madison was going to be in Gladstone anyway, because Danny Duggan was on the show, and after the three of us were going to Brandon to have a night out on the town.

Madison contemplated taking his gear, and throughout the next 48 hours was encouraged by Duggan to bring gear, knowing that it was a complete no-brainer that Madison would add considerable value in wrestling on the show. AJ Sanchez also strongly urged Madison to wrestle as well on Friday night.

Saturday rolled around and Madison shaved his legs in preparation of a wrestling booking. Just in case. He also went to the gym, and from witnesses on hand, had a more intense workout than he normally would have had. Something that someone who is considering wrestling a match that night would most likely do. At 3:30PM Duggan pulled up in the Hulk Hogan yellow sunfire with red leather interior at my place, Madison was in the car.. Madison confirmed he had packed his gear but was indecisive if he'd actually wrestle that night. A major concern was brought up by Madison that if the venue did not have a shower, he probably would not so that he could be fresh when hitting on chicks in Brandon's bar (more on that later).

At approximately 4:30 we pulled into the Boston Pizza in Portage La Prairie. I ordered a steak. I also may have got Kym fired from the Winnipeg Kenaston location, the ribbing shit disturber was just getting started (ask in the comment section if you wish to know more). Madison ordered a virgin water, and said he did not want to eat, for fear that he'd be bloated later in the event he wrestled. An obvious sign that he intended to wrestle. I ate, savoring every last bite of my steak. One thing I've noticed, it's a damn good thing that BP has air miles, because their serving staff minus a few exceptions is not up to par in the looks department. Sorry I speak the truth.

We proceeded on the 60km journey from Portage to Gladstone, affectionately referred to as Happy Rock. About 25 minutes up the road, with approximately 15kms left in the trip, Madison informed Danny and I that he had a change of heart and would not work that night. Deciding instead that he would watch the show with me and hit on all the single women in attendance. Which coincidently there were a fair share.

Arrive at the Gladstone Curling Club at approximately 6:30, site of the RME show. Ring goes up without a hitch. We find out that AJ Sanchez, JJ Sanchez (a rumoured guilty party in the infamous Rokeby Rib), and Kevyn Chevy had car trouble 20kms out of town, and were stranded. Duggan being the hero, goes and picks them up, so they didn't perish in the October heat (and there would be lots of crowd heat a few short hours later).

10 minutes prior to the show starting, Danny Duggan came up to Shane and told him that for the sake of the near capacity crowd in attendance, they needed him to work, as they were 2 guys short. Madison said, if it saves the show I'll do it. He's good that way. And the agreement was made for Shane Madison to make his big comeback, shockingly in a RME ring and not in the PCWF ring (an unannounced merger is in the works between Ernie Todd & Andrew Shallcross, apparently, according to Mike Arnott).

The show was absolutely tremendous. Kickass. Most over babyfaces: Bobby Collins, Shane Madison and Danny Duggan. Madison won a royal rumble and became the number one contender. He also became the number three heatscore in the local wrestling industry, behind myself and Danny Duggan.

Feelings were so hurt that a drunken Mike Arnott, waving the PCW flag with all his mite, would verbally flip out on me on Sunday's edition of the Squared Circle. Congrats Mike Arnott, you have clearly established yourself as an asshole. Proud of ya! He used the term "Goddam" and "shit" at least a dozen times, which was absolutely ridiculous. I will talk about that on Tuesday or Wednesday, but for today, I will stick to the topic at hand.

So once again we see the local scene of wrestling, be volitile and passionate. It's about time. PCWF will be the best place for all workers to work, and I couldn't be happier. Adam Knight will be a top draw, Robby Royce will book again. Business will shoot through the rough of a venue with a 13 foot ceiling. This is as good as it gets. We will see the best this city has got rise to the top. Now before I go further, I have made every effort to publicly endorce PCW, and Andrew Shallcross. The same respect has not been extended to me. But I have a very thick skin. I really truly do.

This is when the business is the most fun!

"Guys, don't hit the ropes before your match, we don't want the ring to break." That is a true quote from promoter Andrew Shallcross, who later suggested to Adam Knight to not hit the ropes on the side of the ring near the window out of fear that he would go through the window and fall into the parking lot. I'm not joking... What the hell is wrong with this picture?

11 comments:

Mecca said...

lol

Where are the comments about the Brandon outing? And do you still have the chef hat?

Mike Davidson said...

I will posting Part two of this blog, which will be about the night in Brandon.
-who tried to score with a member of his family
-what did OBO Ian think of the Pizza?
-Why am I touching my crotch in the picture
-Why is Houston's Country Road House bouncer a bit of a jobber
and much more.

On Wednesday I will be posting my reaction to The Squared Circle, and more political ramifications of the current landscape of Local wrestling.

And Thursday I will talk about my tips for a healthy diet.

Anonymous said...

wow that was an intense read a good read but def. intense. now to read the other wrestling blog and maybe go listen to see what happened on teh squared circle because i'm curious for sure

Mike Davidson said...

I definitely encourage people to read the following wrestling related blogs:

www.pcwaction.blogspot.com, which is Andrew Shallcross' blog

www.meccaholic.blogspot.com which is Shane Madison's blog

and www.ckuw.ca which you link to the Squared Circle and listen to a drunken Mike Arnott sware and scream and have his hair fall out at a more rapid pace. He stressed himself out so bad he needed to leave for a cigerette break.

Anonymous said...

Mike, comment on this please.

I am a big fan of Kenny Omega and Mentallo, don't get me wrong they are amazing at what they do.

Now if that fuck whistle Andrew who has claimed to have lost money for 5 years like an idiot has never made a dime in this business after five long years what does that say about Omega, Mentallo, Angels, and Knight's drawing power in Winnipeg?

Let me guess, the delusional prick thinks technical wrestling ability is far more important than drawing power. Please just do everyone but Cybertranz a favor and leave the business.

S.P.

Mike Davidson said...

If you're willing to leave initials you should be willing to leave your name "SP".

I respect all four of the talents you mention, although I'm not sure if any of them respect me. I believe strongly in Kenny Omega's appeal, and have shown that by booking him twice with Ultimo Dragon, and if he had worked my March WFX event, he would have worked Joey Matthews, which I truly believe would have stole the show. Omega is the most talented wrestler I have ever seen, something that Andrew and I can agree on.

There is a theory that masked wrestlers can not draw, but I think that's horse shit. Mentallo is as good as it gets locally and I respect him a hell of a lot.

Mike Angels clearly doesn't respect and that's been confirmed by Andrew, and that's fine whatever. I will embrace Tim Halbert's opinion, as more educated than mine, and say that Angels is very talented. Halbert's a fan, and that's who Angels is striving to impress. He doesn't care what I have to say, so whatever.

Adam Knight is Adam Knight. My honest opinion is he makes a better supporting guy than a top guy. And his opinion of me will be that I failed with AWE, then failed with WFX, so I'm a fucking failure. Well he failed in Japan, and failed in a WWE tryout so he's a fucking failure too. We should get along and have a lot in common. Right?

The problem is not the talent at all. And that goes roster deep. If the method of promoting is limited to word of mouth and a sign on Pembina Highway, what you see is what you get. Promoting is a full-time job, that is a tireless effort and the results will never justify the investment of effort and money. So I don't criticize Andrew, or the talent.

I think PCW needs to be seen for what it is, a great hobby for a great bunch of guys. Nobody's making paydirt in terms of money, so it's recreational.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mikey-Boy, I love your blogs now more than ever.

LMHAO, he shaved his legs... That's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

"If the method of promoting is limited to word of mouth and a sign on Pembina Highway, what you see is what you get. Promoting is a full-time job, that is a tireless effort and the results will never justify the investment of effort and money. So I don't criticize Andrew, or the talent."

This is precisely the problem with the self-proclaimed saviour of Winnipeg wrestling, Andrew Shallcross. He claims it's the wrestlers' jobs to go out and literally sell the tickets and put up posters. Sorry, jackass, but that falls under the duties of a PROMOTER. Which clearly, you're not. You don't do any active advertising in the form of radio ads, media interviews, postering, etc. So you're just a show-runner. The more you call yourself something everyone recognizes you not to be, the funnier it is. Please continue.

In the meantime, Davidson might be a shit disturber, but so are all the outspoken figures in the local industry. Starting with Shallcross, Arnott, Wayne, Bobby, Ernie, and going all the way down the list to people like Duggan, Omega, and Angels, who many of us all know have posted controversial matters anonymously. Not that they're alone. At least with Davidson, you know what you're getting.

Anonymous said...

Good blog. You shouldn't care if people agree with your opinion or not. Leaders never follow. Your posts seem to have more consistency and accuracy than certain other people's posts.

Anonymous said...

Dude, Weird you almost stooged out the Rokeby Ribber.....

Mike Davidson said...

It would be impossible for me to stooge the Rokeby Ribber out, I don't know who it is.