Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Starter Blog

I don't know if I consider myself important enough to write a blog that people will care to read, so I hope this doesn't amount to a hobby that is just a colossal waste of time. With that said, I am going to attempt to write a regular blog to express opinions on things that matter to me. Politics, Sports, Pro Wrestling (where I have made a healthy living for many years), friendships, courtships, daytime tv, country music and of course, yadda yadda yadda.

On the Professional Wrestling front, Premier Championship Wrestling, a company I was very involved in starting in 2001 and 2002 and left in 2003 to persue grander projects, only to return in 2004, and again in 2008, and I have parted ways again. I went into this with the highest of hopes and ultimately take a majority of the responsibility for where things went wrong. Let me say publicly, Andrew runs PCW well, and my vision for where Mike Davidson the character could go, and where Andrew saw Mike Davidson fitting in PCW was seemingly on the same track. However the marriage just wasn't working, and we have parted ways mutually and hopefully respectfully. I wish him the best, the crew the best, and still consider Andrew a very valued friend.

Does this mean I have decided to leave the wrestling business for good? Prior to my one show return to PCW, I had leaned toward retirement since the hiatus of Wrestling Fan Xperience. A decision was made by Jeff Dyck to move the company out of my backyard, Winnipeg, and headquarter it in Las Vegas where he could be more hands on in the day to day operations. With that change, Rikishi was promoted to booker, and a decision was made to focus on more International touring opportunities. I was offered a role in the revamped WFX, but to this point have not had a burning desire to participate. I wish WFX the very best as well, and most certainly hope to keep my door open for the future.

So where does that leave Mike Davidson, un-retired Wrestling Promoter/Booker/referee/ring announcer/TV & PPV Producer/Wrestler/Manager? Good question. With a resume like mine, I would like to think that Ringmasters Entertainment, Steeltown Pro Wrestling, Danny Duggan Championship Wrestling, Canadian Wrestling Federation, New Wrestling Nation, River City Wrestling, Gorgeous George Promotions, Wrestling For Christ, Wrestling Against The Devil, Wrestling In Prison, and all other wrestling promotions in Winnipeg would at least be interested in talking to me. However, due to my dubious reputation as a shit disturbing ribber, apparently people think Mike Davidson comes with too much negatives to hire. And that's cool. I'm ok with that. I will sit on the sidelines, like Dennis Stamp (who judging by AWA Wrestling on ESPN Classics, he was a hell of a worker in jobber matches, take note Big Man), I will always be ready for the next booking. Wherever such an opportunity should present itself. So no, I'm not retired, just having trouble finding work.

I still shake my head at the sad state of Federal politics in Canada. It feels like we are constantly on the brink of an election, or as we currently see, in a full blown campaign. I have voted mainly Liberal in Federal elections, throughout my adult life. I was a big believer in Paul Martin's finance minister policies, and believed he would make the greatest Prime Minister of our time. Guess I was wrong there.

To vote for the liberal candidate in my riding, I'd have to support their leader. And unfortunately, I can't support Stephan Dion. I believe he portrayes himself effectively as a buffoon, and should probably move away from a career in politics all together. So that leaves me with 3 choices, Green Party (who I think is comprised of outpatients from an insane asylum), the NDP, and the Conservatives. I come from a family of Federal Conservative supporters, and myself am a believer that Jean Charest beating Kim Campbell in the 93 leadership race would have drastically altered the Federal Political landscape that we see today. So well I haven't made up any decision, I have ruled out 2 of 4 options for October.

Now, I can't vote in the US Presidential race, but I follow it as closely as I do Canadian. I have fallen in and out of love and in and out again, for the idea of Barrack Obama. I think he's a great speaker, who can passionately express his viewpoints. I just think there was more to the message from Hillary Clinton than from Obama. I really like Joe Biden, but still am not convinced Obama will make a great president. And while I never believed I would say this, I believe John McCain represents a safe choice for Americans. The drawback to McCain is he is elderly, and may not have the ability to serve a 4 year term. Why couldn't Jesse Ventura run as a renegade?

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have won 2 straight and thanks to a very effective QB, Kevin Glenn maybe on track. Currently they sit in the thick of the East Division playoff picture, more thanks to Toronto's implosion than Winnipeg's explosion. Couple things I would love to see here in Bomberland, a stronger special teams effort, and a Coach with people skills.

NHL Season opens in a few short weeks. I would hate to be a Leaf fan. I'm a fan of the Coyotes and Ducks, and believe both of them will be just fine. Watch for the Blackhawks in the West, especially if they are able to draw any major trade interest for Goalie superstar Nicolai Khabibulin. In the east, Tampa Bay will be vastly improved, Ottawa will slip majorly, and Pittsburg will still be in the thick of things.

In the NFL, the AFC is wide open with New England losing Tom Brady, Peyton and the Colts looking iffy, and Buffalo surprising absolutely everybody at 3 and 0. Why can't the Bengals ever be better, lol? NFC, Dallas is the real deal, Carolina is a pretender, and Minnesota is so not a contender, despite off season predictions. Rodgers will lead the Pack to the post season, and fits in just fine in Green Bay.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one cares what you say

Anonymous said...

My god, your resume is tremendous(insert sarcasm here) but you seem to have left out the part where you lose shitloads of money, or run the promotion into bankrupty.


T.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny that in Beyond the Mat Stamp was portrayed as a guy who know one ever heard of, yet watch any AWA espn classic and he's almost always on there, sometimes twice in the same episode, and worked harder then anyone on those shows.

Your also right about Hillary over Obama, I like Obama but you can't beat experience in an election.

Anonymous said...

Quote: "No one cares what you say" ...and yet they not only came to check out your blog...they felt the need to comment! I'm thinking someone does care what you have to say.

Anonymous said...

it sucks if you leave the wrestling buisness i think if you dig deep enough theres still a little bit more somethign to give to your fans! your shows are awesome A for Effort!
keep up the good work and the better you do the more is pisses off the critics ;)

Anonymous said...

You always make me laugh, the way you see the world at times is very cute. I'll be reading with interest, be damned those that don't like you or what your opinions may be!!!

Anonymous said...

"And while I never believed I would say this, I believe John McCain represents a safe choice for Americans."

Despite the fact that the GOP was on watch when 9/11 happened?

Despite McCain fully supporting the biggest foreign policy disaster the USA has ever embroiled themselves in?

You really think that he is a safe choice? Give your head a shake, Mike and stick to wrestling. Just because McCain is combative on the stick I think you might be giving him faaar too much credit.

The woman he picked to serve on his ticket is a complete buffoon.

How the hell can you have someone aspiring to the highest office in the country who believes humans and dinosaurs co-existed?

His choice was irresponsible and dangerous. He doesn't care about anything other than winning the election and he will do anything to get there. Even if that means selecting a totally unqualified power-hungry harpy with no experience to generate excitement in his base and give him a running mate who will challenge Roe v. Wade.

Obama/Biden '08